Saturday 17 September 2011

Wisdom of the Week - Protection


Copyright Lucian Eyers 2011



On Monday I received shocking and sad news that the man who had been shot in Kenya, who had his wife taken prisoner, was my friend David Tebbutt. I will miss him very much.



David did not believe in angels, in fact he was adamantly opposed to anything spiritual. This did not make him a bad person. On the contrary he was a very good person, always willing to help and did much for charity. What however it did mean, was that when he needed help himself, there was no one to turn to. We would have many excited conversations together on our train journey to and from London, which was where we first met. I was drawing a picture for my poetry books, as I did each day and we started talking. We had a lot to talk about. He worked for the UK’s largest independent publisher - Faber and Faber and I wrote, illustrated and published my own poetry and stories.
Our discussions on publishing, health, family and travel were always temperate. But it was often difficult to be guarded in everything I would say as an angel would pop up somewhere and a storm would start to brew.
It was no surprise to me when the press reported David as not giving the pirates what they wanted - David was a fighter. He was often ill and his family endured some challenging difficulties, which I am not at liberty to describe. As we would separate in the morning at the bottom of the escalators at Holborn Station, I would often think how difficult and stressful his life was. I would say to him that if I ever needed help, I would call upon the angels to ask for healing if one of us was unwell. When we needed protection I would call upon Archangel Michael. David’s response was that I was wasting my time with him.
The planet we currently inhabit can be a dark and negative place. We need to be realistic and understand that not everyone is looking for an opportunity to help another. We also need to understand that when bad situations occur beyond our control or ability to alter them - we must ask for help. Asking for help is part of learning self-worth and is not a sign of weakness, but of strength.
My illustration above is from a poem I wrote some years ago and is taken from my book, ‘The Angel Book of Hours’ it is called, ‘There’s Nothing.’ It is a true story of one afternoon I spent in Hyde Park, when I was feeling sorry for myself, but later found I could help a young lady who was in despair. A few weeks later her husband emailed to thank me. But I was only the messenger. It was Archangel Michael he needed to thank. If you would like to purchase this poem and others from, 'The Angel Book of Hours,' then you can as an eBook via our website at:





‘There’s Nothing’ taken from ‘The Angel Book of Hours’ by Lucian Eyers

No comments:

Post a Comment